RaleighCrit.com is an independent publication launched in January 2023. If you subscribe today, you'll get full access to the website as well as email newsletters about new content when it's available. Your subscription makes this site possible, and allows Raleigh Criterium to exist. Thank you!
What Is Raleigh Criterium?
To better answer this question, let us first make note of a popular series of criteriums for just one moment— the Intelligentsia Cup. What is the Intellisgentsia Cup? Well, technically it's 10 races in 10 days with tight corners + high speed + a party atmosphere BUT an Intelligencer mind you ...
An 'intelligencer' is a spy.
As Found in the Name of: The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, a news publication.
An intelligencer can be a newspaper or news reporter. Originally, however, the word referred to someone who worked gathering field intelligence of a confidential sort—that is, a spy. Both the "reporter" and "spy" senses date to the 16th century, and the word's use in newspapers dates almost as far back as well.
You think you know what an Omnium is? Basically, more than one race rolled into a bigger points race, yeah? Well here's the top definitions from Merriam-Webster:
- A miscellaneous collection (as of things or persons)
- The total of the different stocks and other items formerly offered by the British government for the capital subscribed in funding a loan or for a unit of subscribed capital
Even Merriam-Webster #NailedIt
- A bicycle race of a specified number of laps on a closed course over public roads closed to normal traffic
The Criterion was a quarterly British literary journal published from 1922 to 1939. The Criterion Collection is "dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in various physical editions in the highest technical quality, with supplemental features that enhance the appreciation of the art of film." However, according to Merriam-Webster, Criterion is defined as:
- A standard on which a judgment or decision may be based
- A characterizing mark or trait
A road bike no longer in production from a copmany who's last known factory was shut down in 2013.
- A team dedicated to bringing criterium racing back to Raleigh, NC
- A FREE newsletter with free bicycle maintenance events around Raleigh
- Your resource for every recurring cycling related event around Raleigh— wether it's a lap around a crit course or a group ride that knows no off-season.
A newsletter of mostly FREE bicycle maintenance classes, but also free bike events and other related monthly updates.
Fresh content, delivered
Stay up to date with new content sent straight to your inbox! No more worrying about whether you missed something because of a pesky algorithm or news feed.
Meet people like you
Join a community of other subscribers who share the same interests.